Open Cities App Challenge
the city as a data mill.
The Open Cities App Challenge brings together to important themes of the smart city: open data and sensor networks. As part of the Open Cities project the Fraunhofer Institute FOKUS and the University Pompeu Fabra have created a data platform for developers to create services based on the data, which the cities provide.
- use open data (check our open data platforms below for ideas, or use any other open data source)
- solve a real problem in citizens' every day urban life
Any app using open data is welcome to participate in this challenge. If you would like to create an app you can click on the buttons below to learn some more. See also the Terms and Conditions.
Get visibility for your app!
- Virally, get votes from friends and peers via twitter
- Locally, be one of the best apps in your city by popular vote.
- Globally, be one of the top 10 apps chosen by the Open Cities jury, present live on stage and get top media visibility.
Out of the 10 finalists, a jury will select the winner of the Open Cities App Challenge and get €3,000.
Pan-european app challenge kick-off during MWC 2012, platform open for submissions
|15.09.2012||Deadline for App Submissions (NEW DEADLINE!!)|
|Oct. 2012||Evaluation and selection of 10 finalists|
|Nov. 2012||Finalists pitch during the Smart City Expo 2012 BCN in front of a jury. Winner will be announced during the Expo.|